Friday, September 4, 2009

Ashes for beauty

This morning I listened to Isaiah 1-11 on my NIV Audio Bible. I have begun to read through Isaiah at least 3 times in the last few years and get bogged down in the 30's nearly everytime. So, I've decided that I'll listen to 11 chapters a day on my morning walk for the next 6 days and be done in less than a week (assuming I drag myself out of bed everyday for my walk!). I decided this evening that perhaps I should write a bit each day on the passage I've heard.
I can't recall which chapter it was, but Isaiah prophesied against the "cows of Bashan" at some point this morning.
(Interestingly, I just heard Mark Driscoll preaching about this same passage.)* The prophet is speaking out against women who are flaunting themselves outwardly, but we see that God detests their spiritual state. Where they had long flowing hair, they will have baldness. Instead of perfume, there will be a stench. Instead of beauty, there will be branding.
I wonder if these women would have believed it possible. I wonder if there was ever a thought in their minds that one day, all their beauty, status, and possessions would one day be ripped away. I wonder if they were in denial when the invading hordes carried them away and plundered their homes.
Probably not.
Probably, they were like those in the days of Noah who were eating and drinking and carrying on like nothing could touch them. Moving forward as though the balance of power would never shift, the army would never fail, the economy would never collapse or stumble, and that their country would always be the favored place of God. Well now I'm just preaching.
We have been spared much in this country. We've not faced an ongoing war on our own turf for over 100 years. We think we're invincible, we don't even consider calamity being on the horizon. We've built a house of (credit) cards and place more faith in financial speculation than God.
But this isn't that message. I'm not that pastor. I may be one of Jerry's kids, but I'm not his clone. This is not a right-wing, Republican, conservative evangelical call to bring America back to God. I'm not sure how I even feel about the theology of that ideology.
No. This is not a clarion call. This is doubt and fear. Perhaps I'm too pessimistic, but I don't see things changing. I used to almost want America to continue on the path it's on. I wanted to be part of an underground church, an outlaw by confession. But now, I'm a husband. I'm a dad. I have three lives that God has put into my hands. Would I be stunned if an invading horde took my wife away? What would my faith do? Would I hold up? Many of the faithful might be swept away in the storm if God's wrath were to fall.
Could our citizenry even comprehend the change in life if this country fell? How many millions would not survive, simply because they lacked the skills to do so? Most of us have never known true suffering and misery. Would I survive? Would I save my family and provide for them?
We no longer fear the wrath of God because we think we're insulated from it. If the truth be told, God would not have to send an invading horde to destroy America. He only need turn off our electricity.
We are like a delicate piece of china on a high pedastal surrounded by a thin glass case. Inside the bubble, we are untouchable. What we do not know is that there is a ADHD kid who just ate his 3rd Butterfinger standing right in front of us. We are not indestructible, we are simply shielded... for now. If the glass case were to be removed, we wouldn't last longer than three strides on some Heelies.
I didn't exactly head off in this direction. In fact, I'm not sure where I am right now. Hopefully, in this sober moment, I'm resting solely in the protection of my God. Hopefully, I am the candle and not the darkness.
*after doing some digging, the cows of Bashan terminology actually comes from Amos 4:1. i'm thinking now that Mark referenced both these passages. also, it's Isaiah 3, sorry i was being a slacker earlier!

No comments:

Post a Comment